Advertisementsto head and is usually defined as the condition of having no hair on the top of the head. The pattern of hairlessness may be focal, multifocal, symmetric, or generalized.
- Definition of alopecia
- thefreedictionary.com definition: "Alopecia simply means hair loss (baldness)."
- merriam-webster.com definition: "loss of hair, wool, or feathers : baldness."
- National Library of Medicine definition: "Partial or complete loss of hair is called alopecia."
What are the types of alopecia?Alopecia can be broadly categorized into genetic and acquired types. Types with genetic predisposition are:
- Androgenetic alopecia is male pattern and female pattern baldness.
- Alopecia areata is a condition caused by autoimmune disorders.
- Alopecia universalis is total hairlessness on the head, eyebrows, eyelashes and body.
- In alopecia totalis there is total baldness of the head.
- Trichotillomania is a psychological disorder in which the patient develops the compulsive urge to pull out his own hair.
- Telogen effluvium is rapid excessive hair loss brought about by stress factors such as parturition, febrile illness, major surgery, poisoning, and psychological stress.
- Anagen effluvium is the loss of the growth phase of hairs; usually brought about by cancer chemotherapy.
What are alopecia symptoms?
What are the causes of alopecia?Causes of hairlessness are not completely understood and can be caused by several factors.
chronic debilitating illness,
extreme physical stress,
heavy metal poisoning,
sudden blood loss,
seborrheic dermatitis and
traumatic damage are some of the known triggering factors.
Alopecia treatment and management
Minoxidil, a nonprescription topical medication, is found to effective in treating male and female pattern baldness. Finasteride is an oral medication to be taken daily to get results. With the discontinuance of medication the loss may resume. There are many side effects. Expensive procedures like follicle transplants and hair transplants can be done with great success.
Related topics in the natural skin care:|
Structure of skin.
Stratum granulosum definition.
Human skin color.
What is acanthosis nigricans.
What is dry skin.
Definition of epidermis.
Spirulina for skin.
Vitamin B12 white spots.
Melasma in men.
What is melasma.
Interesting topics in the natural skin care:|
Melasma natural treatment.
What is cellulitis.
Treatment of pityriasis alba.
Malassezia furfur fungus.
White spots on face.
Olive oil moisturizer.
What are Salmon Patches.
Stratum lucidum definition.
Hypopigmentation on face.
Author: Welshsk | License: CC BY 3.0
Current topic in natural skin care: What is alopecia hair loss and its definition.