Home > Olive oil Cleansing methods and Recipes
Routine of olive cleansing method
- In this cleansing method the mixture of recipe ingredients is rubbed into the facial skin for a few minutes by massaging, slowly, firmly and in circular motion, with palms or finger tips.
- During this method routine focusing on the problematic areas of the facial skin can remove the blackheads and whiteheads.
- Then a steaming damp cloth is draped and rubbed for sometime.
- When the cloth cools, it is washed in hot water to remove gunk like dirt and skin debris sticking on to it.
- If felt necessary the steaming cloth is again rubbed on the face to remove remnants of dirt and dead skin cells.
- A cooled wash cloth is then draped and rubbed to wipe off excess oil.
- If the skin appears too dry after this cleansing method, one or two drops of extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) is applied to moisturize the facial skin.
- It is better to do the routine before going to bed as it will remove makeup and day long accumulation of dust and dirt.
There are individual variation to this method and also in the use of ingredients in recipes.
The science behind oil cleansing method
- EVOO is rich in antioxidants which help in skin cell health, repair and moisturization.
- Having low molecular mass, castor oil (CO) in the recipe penetrates deep into the skin, penetrating stratum corneum.
- Ricinoleic acid is the main component of CO having anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
- Traditionally both of these recipe ingredients are used for skin disorders, burns, sunburns, cuts, and abrasions.
- Our skin normally produces natural skin oil (sebum) to lubricate it and keep it healthy.
- Sometimes sebum is produced in excess due to factors like hormones and malnutrition.
- The use of chemical agents to strip the skin of its excess sebum induces the skin to produce more sebum, starting a vicious cycle.
- As oil dissolves sebum, on application and rubbing, this recipe dissolves the hardened sebum and loosens the buildup of dirt, dead skin cells and bacteria.
- Draping with hot wet wash cloth opens up the pores and rubbing with the cloth drains the pores and removes the dirt and skin debris.
- The recipe mixture penetrate deep, helping in collagen production, elimination of bacteria, desquamation, cleansing and skin moisturization.
- Finally, this method makes the skin moisturized, beautiful, clear, and glowing.
- The general proportions of ingredients used in this olive cleansing method for different skin types is given below. You can experiment by adding other oils like jojoba, flax-seed or sunflower in the recipe to find out a cocktail which is right for you. Totally avoid using chemicals in this skin care method. Use clean water and clean wash cloth. Take care not to scald your skin by using scalding hot wash cloth.
Recipe 1: Olive oil cleansing for normal skin.Ingredients in recipe:
Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) 80%
Castor oil (CO) 20%
Recipe 2: Olive cleansing for oily skin.Ingredients in recipe:
If you still feel your face greasy, you can apply diluted lime juice on the face and rinse.
Recipe 3: Olive cleansing for dry skinIngredients in the recipe:
After this cleansing method, dab a few drops of olive oil on the face to moisturize.
For some individuals olive oil cleansing method may throw up problems like aggravated acne, cysts and inflammation as Castor oil may be allergic. If you encounter any skin health problem when doing this method, stop it pronto and consult a dermatologist.
Current topic in Dynamic Nature Skin Care:
Olive oil Cleansing methods and Recipes.